Hawk EMS® – Environmental Monitoring System
The Hawk EMS® is a wall or tripod-mounted radiation monitoring and alarm system designed for use with the Hawk Radius® radiation probe (sold separately). The Hawk EMS® features two displays that show the radiation levels measured by each of the probe’s two detectors: the “pancake-style” Geiger-Müller tube — which measures alpha (if configured for it), beta, gamma, and x-radiation — and the energy-compensated gamma tube. The probe can be mounted nearby or set up in a location up to several thousand feet away, indoors or outdoors.
The Hawk EMS® is targeted for applications requiring continuous monitoring and alarm capability for radiation levels exceeding a user-defined maximum. Typical applications include HVAC building air intake monitoring, hospital environments, medical imaging facilities, scrap metal processing, scientific research facilities, building entry points, and warehouses. The system is designed to be low cost and serve as a “tripwire” to warn responsible personnel of potential hazard. As such, it does not provide isotope identification or extreme sensitivity. It can easily detect a small increase from the background radiation level within 30 seconds, and provide an indication if the source is purely gamma/x-ray, or whether it also contains beta and optionally alpha particles.
The Hawk EMS® can be used as an area monitor, environmental monitor, portal monitor, entrance monitor, building monitor and perimeter monitor. It optionally can be used to shut down air intakes on a building with an external adapter that samples air from the air intakes.
- User settable ALERT functions provide audible and visual warnings within seconds after a change in radiation level. An optional output can control external devices when an alarm occurs.
- The attractive wall mount enclosure can blend into an office environment, but is suitable for industrial and security applications. A secured access panel controls all functions and is available with tamper resistant fasteners. Cables can be routed through the back wall, or through the bottom panel.
- Control Panel allows setting the alert level for each detector, power switch, mute alarm function, and access to interface cables.
System and Displays
- Displays: Two 4-digit liquid crystal displays including mode indicators, one indicates Counts Per Minute (CPM) from the (alpha) / beta / gamma / X-ray detector, the other indicates mR/hr from the energy compensated gamma /x-ray detector
- Averaging Periods: Display updates every 3 seconds, showing the average for the past 30-second time period at normal levels. The averaging period decreases as the radiation level increases, as fast as 3 seconds at high rates.
- Accuracy: ± 15% up to 50 mR/hr; ± 20% up to 100 mR/hr
- Anti-Saturation: Readout holds at full scale in fields up to 100 times the maximum reading
- Enclosure: Water resistant housing, tamper resistant with access panel for controls, optional tamper resistant fasteners (IP51 protection class)
- Power: AC wall-mount adapter standard, with battery backup. Greater than 1000 hours battery life with Lithium 9v battery. Low battery indicator.
- Grounding: Earth ground connection point provided for internal lightning suppression, all system signals relative to this ground point.
- Outputs: Detector pulses are available for external data logging or analysis. Alert indicator provides 12V output to activate relay for controlling external power devices, relay is optional. Can be used to activate security devices or cameras, close air intake or water valves, lock doors, and perform other functions.
- Adjustable audible range from +83 to +103dBa
- 2900Hz +/- 250Hz
- Waterproof transducer
- SuperBright Red Domed LED Light, Flashes 1Hz rate
- Typical 1300 fL intensity
- Waterproof enclosure
Alert Output Signal
- 12v output when active — zero output when inactive
- Can provide up to 100mA to drive external relay
General Specifications for Probe
- Weatherproof & salt-spray resistant enclosure with watertight cable connection (enclosure rated NEMA 4X, IP66)
- Mounting bracket mounts to variety of surfaces or on a tripod with standard ¼-20 thread
- ESD and surge protected
- Temperature Range: -20° to +50°C (-4° to +122°F)
Custom Instruments and Systems
Our versatile and talented engineering team has extensive experience in designing scientific and medical instruments. We have expertise in sensor, analog, digital, microcontroller, and radio frequency design for hardware, software, and mechanical product development. We have all the latest tools to develop and produce instruments in quantities of a few or 10,000 pieces, including CAD with 3D modeling and CIM (computer integrated manufacturing) with surface mount technology.
Our environmental monitoring systems automatically collect and analyze radiation, meteorological, and other data. We can customize systems to include: data collection by radio, telephone lines, LAN or WAN; automated data analysis; automatic paging when preset thresholds are exceeded; automatic integration of data into a GIS (geographical information system) map; integration of GPS data; and custom sensors. We are an authorized developer and business partner for Environmental Systems Research Institute’s Arcview GIS software.
HOW TO ORDER
Please Contact Us by phone or email for information on ordering the Hawk EMS® and Hawk Radius® Probe monitoring system.
*Specifications Subject to Change Without Notice